Thursday, October 25, 2007

I'm relieved to know . . .


. . . that I'm in my right mind! At least I am 85% of the time. The remaining 15% I'm probably in a galaxy, far, far away which may explain some of my blog posts. And how did I happen to come upon this valuable information? I took a little quiz to find out. I've always been intrigued by the concept of right brain/left brain dominance and how this influences our creative lives. I was under the misguided impression (I'll figure out who to blame later!) that because I was left-handed, the right side of my brain had to be dominant. Apparently, that's a misconception. Not all right-brained people are left-handed and not all artists are right-brained. However, the percentage of artists who are left-handed is more than what would be suggested by the percentage of left-handed people who are out there walking around. Some very interesting facts about how our brains process information!

Here's a new pendant I made during my guild meeting last week. It was blessed with a slice from one of Marla Frankenberg's dotty canes that I blogged about a few weeks ago. I've decided I'm tired of whining and bitching about my crappy photos (my shiny pieces always have a hideous glare and altered color) so I'm adding one of those portable fold-up photo tents to the top of my Christmas list. And yes, I know I can make one from a plastic container, a shower curtain, and the toenail trimmings from a virgin but my clumsy left-handed self would be tripping over it when my messy right-brained self leaves it spread out in the middle of my studio floor.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Left handed artist-type here too. And I agree wholeheartedly with the person who commented the other day that you were born to blog. Love your posts - keep 'em coming!

Kim Cavender said...

Thanks, Susan. for the lovely compliment. I'm having lots of fun!

Unknown said...

Crap, that's what I'm doing wrong..using the hoof trimmings from a pregnant gazelle. Who knew is was supposed to be a virgin person?

lalg said...

85% right! I had to go take the test and see. I love checking in to see what you have to say because it is always interesting. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

70% dominance for right brain. kinda figured that. I also have the impression that among artists the rate of left handed people is higher than among "normal" people.
Thanks for that test, Kim

Mel said...

80% right. I actually am grateful for the 20% left or else my bills wouldn't get paid and all the stuff I've had to learn just because I'm clay mad, photography, ebay, paypal, internet banking, technical tool stuff, teaching and organizing for teaching.. paaaleease....I need more left brain cells helping out!
Speaking of photography, Christi Friesen recommended the cubelight recently, I couldn't afford that one so I bought this one instead...
http://tinyurl.com/2a2x6t
I'll let you know if I notice a big diff in my whinging about my pics!
Mel

Kim Cavender said...

Don't feel bad about that, Barbara. It's a quite common misconception!

Unknown said...

"Your score is 80%. Your right brain is strongly dominant"

Susan Turney said...

Your posts make me so happy...I'm always grinning as I read them. My photos are soooo much crappier than yours. In fact yours don't look crappy to me at all! I admit I don't pay a lot of attention when I get to that point but....what is this portable fold-up photo tent? Maybe I should consider one or maybe I should just continue searching for a clay mixing, work space cleaning, photographing boy!

Anonymous said...

of course I had to take the test too....
who would have guessed that I would be equal!!
50% - what does that mean!?! LOL!!

Anonymous said...

Kim, another great blog entry! I love this blog and look forward to every new entry. This one particularly sparked my interest because we just recently found out my granddaughter was born with part of her corpus callosum missing. That is the part of the brain that allows communication between the left and right hemispheres. I've been reading a lot about the brain lately so the link you added here was of great interest to me. Thanks, sweetie..you re the bestest!

Kim Cavender said...

"maybe I should just continue searching for a clay mixing, work space cleaning, photographing boy!"

Okay, Susan, I've just updated my Christmas list again. Thanks for the suggestion! Google "cubelights" or "portable photo tent" to get more info.

Melanie said...

50%...works together...who-da thunk it??? :)

Kim Cavender said...

Linda, my heart goes out to both of you. She's got a wonderful grandma on her side! Much love to you.

Kim Cavender said...

Tina, I believe that means you are a perfectly balanced individual and I'm quite envious.

Janice said...

80% right. By the way, I've done the cardboard box "tent", the tupperware cake container, and finally the ezcube(.com). The ezcube's a keeper, I threw out the cardboard box, but what the heck does one do with a tupperware container with a one inch hole on the bottom (not to mention the l-bracket that's attached)? Anyone??

Jeanne Rhea said...

I'm 90% dominant right brain. Being organized keeps my left brain functioning---thank goodness!

Great post. Entertaining!

Anonymous said...

"... that means you are a perfectly balanced individual ...."

LOL!!!

Kim!!! I am seriously Laughing!!! If you only knew.... Thanks again... That was too much fun!

The Beaded Soul and Mimi & Co. said...

Kim, Hi this is Garlinda Price is North Carolina. You are hysterically funny when you mentioned toenail clippings and a virgin to make your photo tent. I hate the glare you get on pics and will also be beggin for a photo tent. Not begging but kicking and screaming. Love your blog.

Raven's Clay said...

You, my dear Kim, are a very funny woman. I have some extra virgin toe nails, if you like I can mail them to you. ;P

Terrific pendant, btw. I get the most wonderful comments when I wear the one I traded with you for. ;)

Oh, and that test was one of the easiest tests I've ever taken. I'm 90% Right Brain and 100% ADD. Yeah... really, that test could just as well work for someone with ADD (like me!). At least it's good for something! Lol!

Tammy said...

I took the test and apparently I am 95% right brain. Hmmmm that could 'es-plain' a lot!!