Monday, October 22, 2007

What I had for dinner last night . . .

Grilled cheese and tomato soup, a tasty, yet uninspiring meal. Don't worry, I haven't run out of things to write about just yet.
I took a little road trip this weekend and told my traveling partner that one of my favorite things to do is to make up connections between unrelated things. Sometimes I attempt to do that with art, sometimes just in my head, and sometimes I like to use words or some silly story to connect things. I decided to give myself a little challenge today. My self-imposed rule was no more than an hour online to find an interesting polymer clay image that I could immediately relate to something that I did this weekend and turn it into a blog entry.
Within a matter of minutes I came across this incredibly realistic grilled cheese sandwich from Jeanine Haddad of Tiny Cravings, which, by the way, looks much better and even more realistic than the one I ate last night. I immediately googled "polymer clay tomato soup" and found these earrings by Wanda Eash of Two Crafty Mules. Even the brand is the same. And Wanda, if you're reading this, Campbell's has some limited edition pink ribbon soup cans out right now which would make fantastic transfers for earrings.

So, what's the point of all this? Well, it started as just one of the many strange ideas in my head, but then the message became clear to me. It's about finding inspiration to make cool art even in things normally thought of as uninspiring, like a grilled cheese sandwich or a can of tomato soup. Inspiration may come from the ordinary but what you take away from it and the art you create with it can be special and wonderful!

10 comments:

Lisa Clarke said...

Wow! I thought for sure that sandwich was real - I had to do a double-take when you mentioned that it wasn't!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kim... you were born to blog! Let's see I had one peppermint patty and a handful of nuts, I'm off to think things through!

Rosemary said...

I don't have enough clay to create what I ate last night. Actually clay was the only thing I didn't eat last night!
Rosemary

Wanda Maria said...

Thanks for featuring my Campbell's Soup earrings, Kim! I'm definitely going to look for those pink ribbon cans you mentioned! :)

Regards,

Wanda Eash
Two Crafty Mules

Jeanne Rhea said...

Great post! You are a natural at blogging. Didn't you say you were an English major?

Kim Cavender said...

Actually, Judy, I believe Bruce Springsteen wrote a song about me several years ago. I think I was actually born to run. I've just somehow gotten confused and started blogging.

Kim Cavender said...

Jeanne, guilty as charged! Thanks!

Kim Cavender said...

I hope you saved a triscuit or two for me Rosemary!

Anonymous said...

Kim,

I just saw your blog...thanks for mentioning my grilled cheese sandwiches. (btw did you know they are scented??) ^_^ I really need to take some better pics of my new ones. They look even more tasty than these. =) I'd be happy to make you a grilled cheese charm anyday!

Cheers!

Kim Cavender said...

Jeannine,
I can't believe how real your food items looked and the fact that they're scented makes them even better. The grilled cheese sandwich is definitely one of my favorites! Hard to believe it could look any better than this one does. You are one talented lady!