Thursday, October 11, 2007

Beans and Rice

They're not just for dinner anymore! Artists Shirley G. and Barb Fajardo have been literally thinking outside the box (pun intended). They've chosen to use organic-looking materials to showcase their wonderful polymer clay jewelry. Obviously, this type of background isn't suitable for everything, but, in these instances it was a wonderful choice. The next time you visit the grocery store, look around. There must be lots of other organic materials or food products that would provide a great display or photo backdrop for your work. I'm thinking I may have to buy a couple of bags of dried peas. Any other suggestions?

9 comments:

Robin Beam said...

Kim, that work is awesome...I'm still so PC (and I'm not talking Politically Correct, although that's another story altogether) challenged!

Inky Hugs, Robin

Unknown said...

Red lentils, yellow split peas, barley, rice (arborio or long grain), pea gravel, river rocks, bulgur wheat, couscous, orzo, kosher salt...they all could make faboo backgrounds.

Lisa Clarke said...

Not exactly organic, but fabric or decorative papers make a nice backdrop. The papers are particularly nice if you are using a flatbed scanner - the results are much more pleasant without the default white/gray background of the scanner top. And you can always use papers that depict a pile of organic things ;-)

Silly... 'Ma said...

A bowl of fruit in a contrasting or complementary color from your piece. Think how striking something black would be against a bowl of oranges or lemons.

Great ideas, though. I always just use whatever blanket or sheet I lay my hands on that has some contrast! Lazy. Of course, I haven't marketed any of my stuff yet, either.

me<><

Rosemary said...

How about on some crackers? Ummm, triscuits for example. Just a thought. Rosemary

Kim Cavender said...

Wow, I love all the suggestions that you guys have made! Thanks for the ideas.

rubarb said...

Thank you for the mention Kim :o)

I was in a fine jewelry store today and of all things, they used safety glass shards to decorate the bottoms of the jewelry cases...i had never seen that before! It was pretty and very effective...

Shirley said...

Thanks for the highlight Kim! Another backdrop I like to use is pearl tapioca....Hunting for different backdrops can be fun...

Gail H said...

Good posst