Tuesday, November 20, 2007

MORE Pattern Magic!



Yesterday's post dealt with making controlled patterns using the technique of mokume gane but I just couldn't resist hitting on this again after seeing some new work by one of my favorite polymer clay artists. Californian Julie Picarello concentrates her creative energies on making incredibly beautiful mokume beads in delicious colors and controlled, well-planned patterns. She puts a lot of thought into her jewelry design and her work is always beautifully finished.
This "lazy river" bead is one of her newest pieces. I adore the wire coils and the washers she used in the construction of the necklace. These components echo the colors in the clay and the pattern, as well. So clever and so perfect with this lovely bead!




And then she's got a "carnival" series she's developed with these bright and happy colors. Her use of negative space in this dimensional focal bead is fantastic. I love to see an artist utilize negative space in their design and Julie is a master at this!




No post about Julie would be complete without showing this amazing black and silver necklace, my all-time favorite Picarello piece. The different bead shapes work together so well and I see both symmetry and asymmetry going on here, which makes me hysterically happy. It's wonderfully balanced without being too "matchy-matchy". Perfection on a silver string!
Julie sells her work on her website and you can see more photos on her Flickr site. I'm putting in my order right now, Julie. I don't care if I have to wait until this time next year, I need a Picarello!

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Isn't Julie's work amazing? Mokume Gane is such an adventure!...and Julie is a master in it!... :)

Anonymous said...

Reading good things about yourself....what an uplifting way to start the day! Thanks Kim, your comments are not only very kind - they made me grin like an idiot too! As they say, flattery is everything, so I've gotta run...something to do with a lime green mokume...

Kim Cavender said...

Funny and talented! It's why we love you, Julie!

Anonymous said...

Julie's work is stunning, great to touch and she is an outstanding, fun, happy instructor to have for a workshop. Get her to your town,for a workshop, it will be one of the best session to the mokumegane repertoire in addition to learning how to incorporate metal snaps, washers... for that 3 D effect.
sophia lenz

Anonymous said...

It is always good to have a benchmark to strive for and Julie's work is just that for me. Beautiful, imaginative and fun!

Anonymous said...

I'm lucky enough to be in Julie's local guild, Clayville California (hurray, Clayville!). We have great Show and Tell sessions every month which, of course, include Julie's work in addition to our other talented artists. Her pieces are impeccably finished, with the surface of worry stones. They have a beautiful matte finish and are wonderfully tactile. I keep trying to bring her to the "dark side" (tumble sanding), but why mess with a good thing, right?

Lunes said...

Wow I just knew this had to be Julie's work before I even scrolled down! STunning is always! If only I could persuade her to come to France