Monday, June 9, 2008

Day of the Dead


I know it's a little early for a Day of the Dead celebration. My research showed that it's observed early in November. But, Tamra Kohl, a Texas artist whose background is in commercial sculpting, celebrates her appreciation for this traditional Mexican holiday every day of the year. I love her caterpillar which brings to mind a strange mutation of Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Jack Skeleton from The Nightmare Before Christmas.




And coming to a parade near you, the shriner in his little car is just perfect!


Her tribute to Hank Williams, Sr. is another of my favorites. The talented Tamra shares more of her work here, including some wonderful photos of the process she goes through to create these fascinating, colorful sculptures.

3 comments:

Caren said...

Kim,

Fantastic work by Tamra! Thanks for posting!

Caren

http://beadbunny.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kim, you are always so nice with me!! Thanks a lot for your comments, appreciate it so much!
I am really eager to meet you at the Carnival!

Kim said...

Hello! Just stumbled in here through a listing of DDLM blogs. I am the market manager for the Day of the Dead Market located on the 1000Markets.com site. We would love you to open a shop there and contact me about membership in our Market. Go to 1000Markets.com and search for Day of the Dead Market.
Look forward to hearing from you!
Brett
VanFleetStreetDesign.etsy.com
1000markets.com/vanfleetstreetdesign
Day of the Dead Market Manager