Wednesday, April 16, 2008

This is art!

This pin by Asheville, North Carolina's Sharon Solly is such a cool and funky piece of jewelry. Although it's not made of polymer clay, I wanted to include it in this post because it shows her versatility as an artist. She's adept at rubber stamping, mixed media, beading, polymer clay, and many other areas of artistic expression. I first met Sharon when I traveled to Asheville to teach a workshop for her guild and I was so impressed by her use of Kato liquid clay as a finish on many of her polymer clay pieces.
These cabs are made with Lumiere paints,mica powders and Kato liquid. I believe she said she followed the directions that Donna posted here when she described how she got this wonderful glass-like effect. Since I've seen Sharon's work in person, I can attest to the fact that it's just as spectacular in person as it appears in these photos.

Before I went to Asheville, I had been experimenting with using fibers in polymer clay and I was thrilled to discover that Sharon had been working with the same material. I blogged about a pendant I made here and the photo above shows the incredible results that Sharon's achieved through her own experiments with these fibers. I have it on excellent authority that the June 2008 issue of Polymer Cafe will contain an article by Sharon on exactly how she makes these beautiful pieces. So, if you've let your subscription lapse, this would be the perfect time to renew. And, just in case you need another reason, Tammy Garner, who I blogged about last week, will also have an article in that issue.

It appears that "Imagine Uncommon Things" has evolved into a weekly blog at this point. Since I don't seem to have a succinct bone in my body, it's become pretty time consuming to write these long posts more than once a week. So, I'll still be here, just maybe not as often.

3 comments:

France said...

hi kim! you might need to edit the link for Donna's site. you have it as http://http//web.mac.com/donna_kato/Site/Layered_Dichroic_Effects.html and it should be
http://web.mac.com/donna_kato/Site/Layered_Dichroic_Effects.html

cheers! and thanks for showing us such lovely eye candy!

France

Kim Cavender said...

Thanks, France. All fixed!

Anonymous said...

Really amazing and so glass like! I love the effects of the lumière paints. Thank for the ride, Kim.