Monday, March 3, 2008

A Wilder Side of Polymer Clay


Dee Wilder must certainly be the class "overachiever" when she takes a workshop! She recently posted some photos of work she made in a week-long workshop taught by Mary Hettmansperger, a multi-media fiber artist, at the John C. Campbell Folk School. Dee's work is just impeccable and beautifully designed. I love how she's combined polymer clay with the waxed linen netting in this piece.

Her faux trilobite pendant makes me want to chuck the one that I've been working on right into the trash. I think she nailed this fabulously! She has a whole series of recursive beads which she learned from Grant Diffendaffer's wonderful book on her Flickr site, as well. She says they're addictive and I can certainly see why.

One of my favorite pieces is this bracelet which she calles a "triple mistake". Dee says, "My first reaction was to toss the beads, but I decided to stain them and give the disaster one more chance. I'm so happy I did. My polymer mistakes nearly always have happy endings."

And since I love a happy ending, this is a good place to stop.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being a self taught polymer clay artist, I have learned by making mistakes... Dee Wilder makes some of the most goergeous mistakes I have ever seen!

Anonymous said...

Look I even spelled gorgeous wrong... See, I do make mistakes!

Kim Cavender said...

HaHa Cindy! I can totally relate! Sometimes our mistakes teach us more than anything else can!

Epin Accessories said...

You have brought up a very fantastic points , appreciate it for the post.
Earring Findings