Monday, March 24, 2008

Crossing the Pond, Polymer Cafe, and TMI

After several years of doing the Clay Carnival in Las Vegas, it's time to head across the pond! The "Euro Clay Carnival" is set to take place August 1-3, 2008 in Nottingham, England. This event will be a bit different since we have added 2 instructors from England and 1 from Spain. There will be a total of nine different classes included in the package and you can read more about all the details on Donna Kato's website here. I've never been to Europe and I'm really looking forward to meeting all the wonderfully talented artists there who work with polymer clay. Sign ups are starting to come in quickly so, if you'd like more information, visit our good friend Helen Cox for all the registration details. I've already heard from several of my online pals from Spain and France and it's going to be a fabulous time! My class, shown in the picture above, is "A Pigment of Your Imagination", also known as "life's too short to eat cheap ice cream". According to many of the people who've taken this class in the past , it's highly "addictive". To me, the best thing is that it's fun and stress-free with wonderful results.



Speaking of wonderful results, I hope that you've had the opportunity to see the April 2008 issue of Polymer Cafe. Connie Donaldson, the new editor, has done an amazing job with this issue. After
talking to her and hearing what she has planned for future issues, I'm certain it's only going to get better and better. Be sure and give some thought to being a contributor, if you haven't already. The guidelines for submission are on the magazine's website and Connie has offered her help to those who are a little unsure about how to get started.


A couple of weeks ago I was "tagged" by two friends on the same day. I didn't really even understand what this meant until I did a bit of research. Basically, I was supposed to list 6 or 7 (depending on who was tagging me) unimportant or little-known facts about myself and then "tag" three other bloggers to do the same thing. The friends who tagged me made it clear that there was no pressure and it was just for fun if I wanted to participate. So, I've decided I'm going to "kind of" participate just this once. I'm not going to tag anyone else but I'll list thirteen (because I like odd numbers and they both asked) little-known and incredibly boring facts about myself. The two wonderfully talented ladies who tagged me were Debbie Tlach (her work is above) and Linda Peterson (see her work below). I highly recommend visiting their blogs and checking out their artwork. Love you both and my apologies for not playing exactly by the rules!

Here are my 13 things:

1. I think people who abuse children and animals are the lowest life forms on the planet.

2. When I was a kid, my mom had to force me to go outside and play because I only wanted to read books all day long.

3. The places I want to see most in the world are New Mexico, Arizona, Egypt, and Spain.

4. When I was in Jr. High school, I was madly in love with Elton John and named my oldest son after his song, "Daniel."

5. I think about my dog Buster (he died almost 2 years ago) every single day and sometimes I still cry.

6. My career goals have fluctuated wildly throughout my life and have included being a librarian, a writer, a geologist, a lawyer, a teacher, and an artist. I wonder if it's too late for law school?

7. I have a really sarcastic and wicked sense of humor which sometimes gets me in trouble.

8. My favorite comedians are Jerry Seinfeld, Kathy Griffin, and George Carlin.

9. My favorite TV show is Project Runway.

10. I prefer white chocolate.

11. The first thing I ever made with polymer clay was a carrot nose for a fabric snowman.

12. I need music to live. Some of my favorite bands are Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dave Matthews, U2, and the Beatles.

13. I LOVE chai tea, pomegranate juice, and Bailey's Irish Cream, but never in the same cup!


I won't be around for the next week or two. My kids are on spring break and I want to spend some time with them, I have lots of projects I need to finish , and, as usual, I still need to get the dreaded income taxes together. In the immortal words of Tim Gunn, "carry on." I'll see you soon!

6 comments:

Janice said...

We'll miss you in the blogosphere. Have fun with the kids - and I hope your tax prep is painless!

Janice (who's running out . . . again . . . to try and find a copy of PolymerCafe)

Bettina Welker said...

Oh I hate tax prep work. Is there anybody who lkes it? guess not. As Janice said - we'll miss you.
I really would love to come to the UK in August but I'm afraid I can't afford another biggy this year. But maybe you (and one or two of theother girls) like to prolong the trip to add a few days in germany ;) I have a guest room with beds for three persons - woud be glad to be your host for a few days with sightseeing et al

take care
Bettina

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
I should have looked on the side of your blog but in case you don't subscribe to the following blog, these rocks reminded me of you! I didn't know where else to post it.
Susan T
http://cristalline.blogspot.com/

Kim Cavender said...

Thanks, Janice! Still working on taxes - what a yukky chore!

Bettina, be very careful of those types of invitations! We may really show up on your doorstep. You are so sweet and I really appreciate your offer. Who knows? We may see each other again very soon!

WOW! Susan, those rocks are amazing! Thanks so much for posting that link! Just the kind of thing I love.

Bettina Welker said...

I said it exactly how I meant it. I have room for three - so you decide:) My door is open, it would be a blast

Epin Accessories said...

That is very interesting, You’re an overly skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and stay up for in quest of more of your fantastic post. Also, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks
Coral Beads